Just as any two people can have a disagreement or a conflict, students and their professors may find themselves at odds with one another. When thinking about your feelings and opinions with respect to your professors, a good first step is to think about the experience, interaction or exchange from the view of your professor. Try and understand what they might have been thinking, feeling or experiencing during your interaction with them. Then you might try talking to a trusted friend or family member and share with them how you felt and what you think your professor might have been feeling. Once you have taken the time to do this, you might choose to do one of two things:

  1. If you feel comfortable approaching your professor, do so and assertively communicate how you feel or what you think about your interaction with them.

  2. If you are not comfortable approaching your professor and you feel as though he or she mistreated you, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at 435-586-7710. You can also schedule an appointment to meet with the faculty member’s supervisor, his or her Department Chair. If you aren’t comfortable approaching the Department Chair you should work with the Student Services staff.

Please understand that as you work with the Student Affairs staff to reach a resolution of your concerns that they seek to address these concerns with confidentiality and according to policies that provide faculty members with an opportunity to be heard and respond. Please be patient with the staff as they collaborate with you to reach an acceptable outcome.

Was this helpful? 1 out of 1 found this helpful

Related Articles:

Have more questions? Let us know