If you experience unforeseen medical problems or have loved ones who are experiencing serious health problems and rely on you as a primary care giver, the University can work with you to determine an appropriate course of action. When considering what to do, you should think about the following questions:

  • At what point in the semester have the medical concerns arisen?
  • How well have you performed in the course up to the current time?
  • What assignments and exams have yet to be completed?
  • How long do you and your physicians believe your medical problems will persist?
  • Can treatment be obtained in such a manner that you can continue at the University?

How you and your physician respond to these questions will shape the most appropriate course of action. Some possible solutions include:

  1. Establishing a completion plan with your faculty members in the event your medical concerns can be addressed within a two or three weeks.

    1. Receiving an Incomplete for courses where the most of the graded work has been completed and your performance has been good. Faculty members must approve an incomplete contract.

    2. Withdrawing from a course(s) when there is still much work to be completed and your performance has been less than what you expected. Withdrawing from a course after the 14th day of the semester will result in a ‘W’ on your transcript. You may be concerned about having ‘W’s on your transcript but these can be explained to graduate and professional schools, and a ‘W’ for medical reasons is understandable.

*Withdrawing for the Term *may be the best solution when medical concerns arise early in a semester, not much work has been completed in any of your courses, you are dissatisfied with your performance, and treatment or recovery will take more than two or three weeks. The University has an [emergency withdrawal petition]https://www.suu.edu/registrar/pdf/emergencywithdrawalform.pdf that is reviewed by the registrar. You should complete the petition and provide supporting documentation from your physician. Students may recover some or all of their tuition if their petition for emergency withdrawal is approved.

Was this helpful? 2 out of 4 found this helpful

Related Articles:

Have more questions? Let us know