The Online Teaching and Learning department offers several online courses and degree programs. One way to find online courses is to search through the SUU courses and find these courses individually. To help you identify these courses, online sections have been given a unique section number that ends in I.
Undergraduate: 30I, 31I, 32I, etc. Example: BIOL-1610-30I
Graduate: 70I, 71I, 72I, etc. Example: AA-6010-70I
Click one of the following links for more information.
1. Using the Canvas link in the pane on the left found on the Current Students web page on the SUU website
2. Selecting the Canvas link in the right side panel when logged into mySUU portal
For detailed instructions on how to log into Canvas, select this link.
The login information for Canvas is the same information as your mySUU portal login. Contact the IT Help Desk if you have trouble logging in.
To access courses in which you are currently enrolled, log in to your Canvas account and then select the Courses icon on the left menu. Select the name of a course to view the content.
If you do not see your class in the Courses list, the cause could be one of six factors:
- You're looking too soon. Your courses will not show up in the drop-down list until the day before classes start. Additionally, some courses do not start until the second half of the semester, and so those courses will not show up in Canvas until the day before the class starts.
- Your instructor does not use Canvas. All online courses are on Canvas, but not all face-to-face courses are. Your instructor may have chosen not to use Canvas. Contact your instructor to double check.
- The course is unpublished. Your instructor may not have published the course yet. This step has to be taken before any students can see the course. If you believe that you should see the course but don't, contact your instructor.
- You need to customize your courses list. The courses menu can be customized to show only certain courses. To make sure some of your courses aren't hiding, select the Courses icon in the pane on the left, select All Courses, and make sure all of your current courses have a star to the left of the title. For help customizing your course list in the Canvas app, go to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1668
- You registered fewer than 48 hours ago. The server requires up to two full days to push newly registered students into their courses (including adds and drops). If you still don't see your Canvas course and have checked to make sure the first four factors aren't the problem, contact Online Teaching and Learning at 435-865-8555 or email@example.com.
- The server is having issues. Sometimes the server doesn't push students into their courses automatically like it should, and so we have to manually push them in. If the first five factors aren't what is keeping you from seeing your courses, this is likely the problem. Contact Online Teaching and Learning for assistance 435-865-8555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Depending on your instructor, you may have "read-only" access to courses from previous semesters as well. This feature is helpful because some courses can be used as a reference tool for higher level courses within a departmental program/degree. To view concluded courses, select the Courses icon in the pane on the left and select All Courses.
Scroll to the bottom to view the Past Enrollments section and select the course to open it.
SUU Online Teaching and Learning