Supported Desktop & Laptop Computer Hardware (Computer Labs and Faculty/Staff Offices)
Last updated on 08/03/2020
Due to the hundreds of computers at SUU, IT maintains a list of supported hardware. This is done to ensure consistency and a quality level of support. IT has negotiated special pricing and support arrangements with our PC vendor (presently Dell). Anything purchased outside the scope of this list below will not be supported by IT. Not supported means IT will not troubleshoot or repair the equipment, will not provide network connectivity, will not provide software, etc.
Current supported desktop list and operating systems (2020-2021 school year):
- Dell Optiplex 5070 (Windows10)
- Dell Optiplex 5060 (Windows 10)
- Dell OptiPlex 5050 (Windows 10)
- Dell OptiPlex 5040 (Windows 10)
- Dell OptiPlex 7020 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
- Dell OptiPlex 7010 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
- Dell OptiPlex 9020 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
- Dell OptiPlex 9010 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
*Support for the OptiPlex 790 & 990 will be dropped during the 2017-2018 school year (support for the OptiPlex 780/980 was dropped for the 2016-2017 school year). This means that if a 790 or a 990 fails then IT may require it to be replaced with a supported machine and Windows 10 will be installed.
Current supported notebook list and operating systems (2020-2021 school year):
- Dell Latitude 5400/7400 (Windows 10)
- Dell Latitude 5480/7480 (Windows 10)
- Dell Latitude E7270/E7470 (Windows 10)
- Dell Latitude E7450/E7550/E5450/E5550 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
- Dell Latitude E7440/E7540/E5440/E5540 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
- Dell Latitude E6430/E6530 (Windows 8.1 & 10)
*Support for the Latitude E6430 & E6530 will be dropped for the 2017-2018 school year (support for the Latitude E6420 and E6520 was dropped for the 2016-2017 school year).
We encourage all PC computer users to work with their IT support person to get their computers updated to Windows 10 or replaced as needed. All new and re-imaged computers and will come with Windows 10 installed.
Current supported Mac Computers
All Intel-based iMacs, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros that are capable of running macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or newer will be supported. This includes:
- iMac (late 2012 or newer)
- iMac Pro (2017 or newer)
- MacBook (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook Air (mid 2012 and newer)
- MacBook Pro (mid 2012 and newer)
- Mac Mini (late 2012 or newer)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 or newer, or mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with Metal capable GPU)
Departments ordering new computers should consult with their IT contact prior to placing an order. IT can assist in obtaining quotes for equipment that meets campus standards, including the criteria established above. IT can also assist departments in establishing a replacement cycle and with the cascading of existing equipment.
Supported Printer Hardware (Computer Labs and Faculty/Staff Offices)
Due to the ever changing variety of printers available on the market, the IT department does not maintain a list of supported printers. However, many printers are not compatible with the SUU network environment, even if they have a network card built-in. Departments should coordinate printer purchases with their IT support person to ensure compatibility and supportability.